Sunday 9 October 2011

Matthew Sijon: The Great Escape (Part 2)

What just happen... Matthew thought as he walked to the fireplace. The remote-controlled fireplace is not enough to keep him warm. The thought of him being the descendant of the White Caliph makes him shivers and send him trembles throughout his body. He replays back his memory, running through his brain and picking up some conversations he had with Edward Tenner. Weird that he knows about Kris Si Naga and where it is hidden. Is this some kind of a trick? ‘You’ll figure it out’? What was that?!
“Everything alright, Matthew?” Matthew turned around. Mr. Tenner is still sitting comfortably in his chair. He was looking at Matthew, who still dizzy from all the information he got. He is struggling to stand still as his body rocks and his head thumping hard. He reached out his hands on the mantelpiece for support. “Just a bit lightheaded, Sir.” Mr. Tenner got up from his sit, holding the cane stick to support his fragile, old body. He went to the corner of the room, where the drinks were being served. He reached out the cabinet and took a water bottle from it. While he poured the water into the glass, Matthew tries to walk towards the sofa. His body sagged and his hands were pinching his forehead in attempt to get rid of the pain.
“I understand this is really too much for you to digest, Matthew.” He reached out the glass to Matthew and went back to his chair. “Matthew, there are many secrets that we kept from you. It is for your own good, I promise you that.” Secrets and why did he say ‘we’?
“More secrets? Oh great. What else other than the fact that I’m the descendant of White Caliph?” Matthew pressed on to force more answers from Edward Tenner. He felt that man did not give enough explanations. “Do you want me to get the Kris Si Naga for you? Is this what this is about? Huh!” Mr. Tenner flinched as Matthew raised his voice. He slumped in his seat and let out a long sigh. It is as if he tries to gather himself. His minds throbbing, searching for words and put it in sentences to make Matthew understands the situation.
“Matt, a lot of people bid for this Kris. I’m talking about bad people here. I don’t know how to explain it to you. It’s quite a long story.” He paused for a while. Matthew squint his eyes in suspicion- he did not trust the old man. “I don’t want it. I really don’t. I just want you to get it out and saved some people. Some important people, important to both of us.” Matthew gave an exasperated sigh. It is as if Mr. Tenner is protecting someone. He had enough with all the secrets he just learn.
“Mr. Tenner, I’m asking you to be honest with me. What do you want me to do with the damn old dagger that had nothing to do with me? Is this some kind of a trick? You invited me to come here and out of the blue, you just revealed that I am the descendant of White Caliph. Since I came here, I have been wondering-” He stood up and took his rucksack. His hands reached down to the bottom of the rucksack then pulled out the invitation letter. “-This does not seem to be an invitation letter for a dinner or something. You asked me to travel from Sarawak to Macau just for you to reveal the stinking family history to me. You have not told me the whole truth! Why am I here?!”
“It is going to shock you. I doubt you are ready for the real truth. You have to sit and just breathe in.” Matthew refuses to comply with Mr. Tenner’s order. He continues to stand as an act of rebel. His face expression turns into gloomier as ever as he gets impatient every time the old man dodges the questions. “Okay, here’s the deal, Matt. I will tell you the truth. I won’t hold back and won’t leave out anything. I guarantee you that if you just sit down and breathe. I can hear you breathing like a horse.” Soon afterwards, Matthew sat down. He holds his vital and checks for his pulse. Indeed, he did breathe like a horse. His heart beat paces even faster and thumps loudly as if he can hear the blood flows in his ears. The most anticipated moment for him- to find out the truth.
“Now, that wasn’t so hard, was it? You know the Brooke’s family, don’t you?” Without waiting for Matthew to answer, he reached out a book besides him. Matthew caught a glimpse of the title, which says ‘The Name of Brooke’. “This book is written by a good friend of mine. His name is Robert Reece. Or just called him Bob. You see, in this book, he described your great-great grandfather as a complex character. He is ambitious and very conniving in his political scheme. Most historians agreed that he is a genius, but like most genius, they end up in mental institute.”
“I get that. He’s crazy.”
“Good. But he was only in the mental institute for about six years. Then he came back to Borneo, attempting to weave his political ambitions with the local affairs. He is just... troublesome, a nuisance. The British during that time, which is in 1930s and 40s, they do not want to be dragged to Sarawak to clean up his messes. MacBryan kept on messing around, meddling with local political affairs. Oh... my father was one of those British officers. We used to live in Singapore, you know. My father always talked about him everyday. Literally everyday like every time he’s in his study room or in his bed.” Matthew felt he had unhinge his jaw and it drops somewhere on the floor. Although he had only just known about his existence, he already hates his gut.
“Mr. Tenner, I thought your father admire him. I mean, it sounded like your father does like him.”
“Hahahaha, no, my father admires him for his brain, not his actions. My father is the one who always gets him out of trouble. Well, up until 1950 though, when MacBryan was allegedly murdered. But there is one more important thing that I need you to know.” He moved his positions so that he can get closer to Matthew. He leans closer to him and all of sudden, he grabbed Matthew hands to get closer to him.
“No one knows about this except me and my father. When MacBryan failed to secure his political position in Brunei, he, then, went to Hong Kong and stayed there until he died. My father has been MacBryan’s only trusted friend. He didn’t trust the Brooke, the British and not even his wives. According to my father, MacBryan had lost hope in searching fortune and wanted to leave something behind for his wife. He intended to sell the Kris Si Naga. He called up many bidders. I’m talking about important bidders here like the Chinese Triads and many gangs. The problem is there are so many people wanted to have it and they bid up to $1 trillion. It drives everyone bonkers. The British knew about it and because it may cause more drama in Brunei, they had plotted to kill MacBryan. At least that’s what we believe. The result of autopsy was very inconclusive.”
“Your father? Did he tell the British about it?”
“Nope. No matter how crazy MacBryan is, my father has a soft spot for him. Maybe he felt sympathy for him. How the British did know about it? Well, the Chinese Triads were fighting over it. Two of the Triads, the Yakuza and the Capone, caused some serious disturbances in Hong Kong. After the British announced MacBryan’s death, these two Triads were extremely disappointed and wanted to start a war between them. Until the Father, who is the head of all the Triads, wanted to stop the war by having their first convention. What I heard, they make a pact with each leader. The pact meant to stop the war and not to seek for the dagger. By 1960, the pact was made official. They promise not to step on each other’s turf.”
“I have never heard of the Capone’s triad. Are they - “
“Not the real Capone himself. The founder was so obsessed with Al Capone that added his last name as Capone. They’re like the new Triad in the 50s. Made a lot of money from selling drugs, human trafficking... they’re just sick. But like all Chinese Triads, the Capone wants prestige. Kris Si Naga will up their prestige to the next level. The same level as the Father. They basically want to be the top.”
“If they are strong, how come they still cannot retrieve the Kris themselves? How hard can it be? Just rob the bank.”
“Ah... they are strong, but they cannot just go to the bank and steal it. They are way too classy to do that.” He paused for a while and look down. Matthew became more agitated in listening to more of the story. “Matthew, they need the descendant of MacBryan to retrieve it for them. The bank security is too tight and the convention pact is still intact. They need the MacBryan’s predecessors to do it. They have tried it before, but it failed.”
“They failed? I thought me and my grandmother was-“
Suddenly it struck him. His heart beat even faster than before. “My parents.” Mr. Tenner looked at him, feeling sympathetic to the boy in front of him. The boy that he saw in the beginning began to look like a baby. Mr. Tenner examines Matthew’s face. It resembles his mother’s oval-shaped face, high cheek bone and thin lips resembles his father. “I’m sorry, Matthew. Your grandmother and I decided to keep this secret from you. It is way too dangerous for you to even know the whole truth. Now, they’re after you. We have heard so many stories from Sarawak in which they try to kidnap you. I have to guard you from them. It is my responsibility.”
His body trembles listening to Mr. Tenner. “They’re still alive?”
“Yes. Very much. They had to work for the Capone. Look, Matthew. The reason I want you to be here is to end this silliness. I’m an old man. I cannot be there for everyone. I just need you to come with me, meet the Father, release your parents and then, let me die in peace. You can do whatever you want with the dagger. You can keep it, sell it or whatever. Then after that, my job is done.”
“Why are you helping me, Mr. Tenner?”
“Because your great-great grandfather wants my family to protect his. My only worry is that you are not ready enough to get through all this. I just want to retire and put an end to the saga. I have been trying to get your parents out and I have failed many times. My people are killed and the Father is on my back.” He stood up and reach out his hand to Matthew. “Ready, son?” Matthew looked at the hand for a while. Instantly, he grabbed it and got up as well. He is determining to reunite his family one more time.
“Ready, Sir.”
“Let’s packed! We’re going to Brunei tomorrow to meet an old friend of mine. He can help us create the escape plan.” Matthew just nod and both of them walked to the automated doors.

No comments: